Download the Latest Viscosity install from http://www.thesparklabs.com/downloads/Viscosity.dmg
Please note that Viscosity is a licensed program and will require a license fee after the trial period has expired.
- Double Click the Viscosity dmg from your downloads folder to mount the image
- Drag the Viscosity Icon to the Applications Folder to install.
- Launch Viscosity from Your Applications Folder.
- If you get a notice that "Viscosity is an Application downloaded from the Internet" Click Open to confirm that you want to Open it.
- Viscosity will complete it's install, if Prompted, click Install
- Enter your computer Admin password to allow the Install to complete
- Choose to allow it to Check for updates Automatically.
- Download the Configuration Files https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip
- Locate the Viscosity icon in the Menu bar, and click on it.
- Click Preferences
- On the Connections screen, press the +,
- Select Import Connection then From File
- If you highlight the OpenVPN Folder, and press Open, this will import all regions into Viscosity.
- Viscosity will confirm it was able to import the connections. Press OK
- Using the Viscosity icon in the Menu bar, you can connect to your desired region.
EASY Setup Guides for Alternate Configurations (Advanced):
If you need encryption, please use the Private Internet Application or OpenVPN protocol with our service.
- Windows OpenVPN Setup
- macOS OpenVPN Setup
- macOS Viscosity Setup
- Ubuntu OpenVPN Setup
- Fedora OpenVPN Setup
- Robolinux 7.5.3 OpenVPN Setup
- iOS (iPad/iPhone/iTouch) OpenVPN Setup
- Android 4.0+ OpenVPN Setup
- DD-WRT OpenVPN Setup
- Tomato OpenVPN Setup
- PfSense OpenVPN Setup
OpenVPN Configuration Files (Recommended Default)
OpenVPN Configuration Files (Recommended Default windows only plus block-outside-dns)
OpenVPN Configuration Files (Strong)
Although quite different from a VPN, we provide a SOCKS5 Proxy with all accounts in the event users require this feature.
SOCKS5 Proxy Usage Guides
proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com port 1080
Enable port forwarding in the application by entering the Advanced area, enabling port forwarding and selecting one of the following gateways:
After enabling port forwarding and re-connecting to one of the above gateways, please hover your mouse over the System Tray or Menu Bar icon to reveal the tooltip which will display the port number. You can then enter this port into your software.
Port Forwarding reduces privacy. For maximum privacy, please keep port forwarding disabled.
- IPv6 leak protection disables IPv6 traffic while on the VPN. This ensures that no IPv6 traffic leaks out over your normal internet connection when you are connected to the VPN. This includes 6to4 and Teredo tunneled IPv6 traffic.
The dns leak protection feature activates VPN dns leak protection. This ensures that DNS requests are routed through the VPN. This enables the greatest level of privacy and security but may cause connectivity issues in non-standard network configurations.
This can be enabled and disabled in the Windows application, while it is enabled by default on our macOS application.
We use our own private DNS servers for your DNS queries while on the VPN. After connecting we set your operating system's DNS servers to 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168. When using a DNS Leak testing site you should expect to see your DNS requests originate from the IP of the VPN gateway you are connected to.
If you change your DNS servers manually or if for some other reason they are changed this does not necessarily mean your DNS is leaking. Even if you use different DNS servers the queries will still be routed through the VPN connection and will be anonymous.
The internet kill switch activates VPN disconnect protection. If you disconnect from the VPN, your internet access will stop working. It will reactivate normal internet access when you deactivate the kill switch mode or exit the application.
Users who may be connected to two connections simultaneously (ex.: wired and wireless) should not use this feature, as it will only stop 1 active connection type.